Celebrate Data Privacy Day: Free privacy and security awareness resources
January 28 is Data Privacy Day, a day I actually love to celebrate!
Why? Data privacy tends to be viewed through a negative lens — massive data breaches, fines from government watchdogs and stories of lost customers. But when done right, it can become a story of empowering people and organizations to respect privacy, safeguard data and enable trust.
We want to keep that positive message going throughout 2022, so here are a few of our best data-privacy-related resources. We encourage you to read, download, watch and share them throughout the year.
1. Keep your personal data safe
Keeping your personal data safe starts with you. How much information are you exposing through social accounts and insecure phone settings? How deep is the potential treasure trove of old files stored on your devices? How does your cyber hygiene stack up against the criminals and bots trying to break into your accounts?
Download our collection of free security awareness tip sheets for a quick playbook on staying cyber secure at work and home — from securing your home devices to understanding common phishing attacks and more.
See if you can take your biggest data privacy weakness (or a handful of them!) and turn it into a strength this year.
2. Keep your customers’ data safe
Cybersecurity is a team effort, and every employee has a part to play in protecting customer data. According to Osterman Research, 96% of security and IT leaders understand the importance of a strong cybersecurity culture, and that culture is often driven by security awareness training.
Learn more about building and optimizing a culture of cybersecurity with these free resources:
- Build cybersecurity culture with this free report: Security awareness training as a key element in changing the security culture
- Optimize security awareness training with this free ebook: Experts weigh in on developing effective security awareness training
- Measure training ROI of with this free tool: Security awareness ROI calcualtor
Need help getting started? Download our Road to Cybersecurity Toolkit, which includes a training module, assessment, posters, newsletter and more to help prepare employees to detect cyber threats and keep data safe.
3. Learn about data privacy careers
The demand for data privacy is also creating a wide variety of career opportunities — from teaching data privacy best practices to implementing a data privacy program to building data privacy into applications.
- Spirion Chief Innovation Officer Gabe Gumbs on privacy careers, GDPR, CCPA and the right to be forgotten
- Author and speaker Tyler Cohen Wood on careers in risk management, privacy and healthcare security
- IAPP’s Byron Johnson on privacy shaping the future of cybersecurity careers
If you’re looking for technical training on implementing and managing a privacy program, check out our courses in Infosec Skills.
You can learn directly from long-time data privacy practitioners, such as Ralph O’Brien, Chris Stevens, John Bandler, Starr McFarland — and more.