On this episode of the CyberSpeak with InfoSec Institute podcast, Michael Figueroa, executive director of the Advanced Cyber Security Center (ACSC), talks about aspects of red team operations and, more specifically, the ACSC’s first collaborative defense simulation — an event that brought together 20 member teams and 100 participants to explore the challenges that organizations face when responding to large-scale cyber-attacks and the opportunity to address those challenges through cooperation.
In the podcast, Figueroa and host Chris Sienko discuss:
- How did you get started in computers and security? (2:20)
- How did your path transition from standard security operations into more offensive programs like Red Teaming? (4:50)
- Tell us about the Advanced Cyber Security Center Defense Simulation from last September. (9:05)
- How was the exercise executed? (11:25)
- Can you walk us through the minute-by-minute methodology of what’s happening in the simulation? (13:50)
- What is the scale of the attack being undertaken? (20:20)
- What were the results of your findings? (22:50)
- What are some of the common methodologies that your Red Teams employed? (25:50)
- Is the physical aspect of Red Teaming still relevant or is that over-reported? (28:55)
- What’s the future of the Collaborate Defense Simulation? (31:25)
About CyberSpeak with InfoSec Institute
Get security awareness and IT training insight direct from the trenches in this weekly podcast hosted by InfoSec Institute’s Chris Sienko. Each week on CyberSpeak with InfoSec Institute, IT and security practitioners share their insights into a new topic, including security awareness, IT and security careers and keeping organizations safe from cybercrime.