CompTIA A+ 220-1002 [Updated 2019]
The CompTIA A+ certification exam with exam code 220-1002 is a part of CompTIA’s new A+ core series (Core 1 and Core 2). This core series was released on January 15th, 2019 and is designed specifically for IT technicians who are interested in IT operational roles and technical support such as troubleshooting and solving IT problems.
Taking and passing the CompTIA A+ exam shows candidates capable of mastering the nine skills listed below:
- Hardware: A+ certified candidates will be able to identify, use and connect hardware components and devices
- Hardware and Network Troubleshooting: A+ candidates can troubleshoot network devices and issues associated with them
- Networking: He/she will be able to thoroughly understand types of connections and networks including Wi-Fi, SOHO and TCP/IP
- Software Troubleshooting: A+ technicians can troubleshoot mobile devices and PC issues
- Windows Operating systems: Certified technicians can install and support Windows operating systems, including a command line and client support
- Security: Technicians can identify and protect in the face of security vulnerabilities in devices and their network connections
- Mobile Devices: They will be able to install and configure mobile devices
- Other Operating Systems and Technologies: They can handle other OSes such as Mobile OS, Linux and Mac OS
- Operational Procedures: Operational procedures require A+ professionals to follow best practices for environmental impacts, safety and communication
The IT technician or computer support specialist is one of the leading roles in the IT industry. Various employers hire computer support specialists who are well-trained or properly certified. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of computer support specialists will grow 12% between 2014 and 2024.
In addition to computer support specialists, A+ credential also supports some other roles including Help Desk Tier 2 Support, Desktop Support Analyst and Field Service Technician. Furthermore, A+ job roles are highly demanded by some popular companies such as Intel, Dell, HP, Nissan, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Ricoh.
Candidates must pass two exams, Core 1 (220-1001) and Core 2 (220-1002), in order to receive the CompTIA A+ certification. This condition is explicitly stipulated in CompTIA A+ core series exam guide.
What Are the Domains and Objectives of the CompTIA A+ Exam 220-1002?
In order to take and pass the CompTIA A+ exam and secure an elite score, the candidates must follow the CompTIA A+ exam objectives/domains together, rather than studying unofficial, irrelevant or random material. The following list incorporates domains gauged by this certification exam and the extent to which these domains are represented.
- Domain 1: Operating Systems — 27%
- Domain 2: Security — 24%
- Domain 3: Software Troubleshooting — 26%
- Domain 4: Operational Procedures — 23%
What Essential Details Do I Need to Know About the CompTIA A+ Exam 220-1002?
The CompTIA A+ Exam 220-1002 covers the installation and configuration of operating systems, expanded security, operational procedures and software troubleshooting. The following sections describe everything you need to know about your exam.
- Recommended Experience: This exam recommends having hands-on experience of nine to 12 months in the lab or field, but no experience is required to take the exam
- Language: CompTIA offers the A+ exam in several languages, including English at launch, Portuguese, Japanese, German, simplified Chinese and Spanish
- Length of a Test: The length of this test is 90 minutes
- Passing Score: The candidate has to earn 700 points out of 900
- Number of Questions: There is a maximum of 90 questions per exam
- Type of Questions: The exam includes drag-and-drop and multiple-choice questions
- Price: The price is $219 per exam
- Retirement: TBD — usually 3 years after launch
How Can I Take the CompTIA A+ 220-1002 Exam?
You must cover the exam objects thoroughly before appearing for the actual exam. Trying practice exams is also helpful, as they help you to identify your weak areas of study. Once you are fully prepared for the exam, then you need to buy an A+ exam voucher from the CompTIA Marketplace. However, for CompTIA members and partners, the voucher can be purchased at the Pearson VUE Voucher Store. Pearson VUE is CompTIA’s partner and manages all of its certification exams. After purchasing the voucher, the candidate should select a testing center and schedule exam at Pearson VUE website.
Before taking the exam, the candidates must review the CompTIA Candidate Agreement. This agreement helps candidates to abide by the rules and avoid a cancellation of the certification due to non-compliance.
How Should I Prepare for the CompTIA A+ 220-1002 Exam?
The issue of preparation plans is a very important that students often ignore. Studying irrelevant material through non-trusted resources can lead to exam failure or simply learning less during your preparatory period.
The following sections spell out CompTIA and InfoSec Institute’s resources that help you achieve your goal of passing the CompTIA A+ exam.
CompTIA A+ Resources
Some of the most effective of CompTIA’s A+ resources are its eLearning tools, such as CertMaster Practice for A+. This practice test helps candidates to identify their weak areas of study and allow them to improve further before appearing for the actual exam.
In addition, you can also buy CompTIA A+ 220-1002 Certification Study Guides.
CompTIA Classroom Training is an instructor-led training for organizations such as government institutions, nonprofit organizations and corporations. This training is for your entire workforce or group of technicians.
InfoSec Institute A+ Resources:
Beginners, you don’t need to be afraid. InfoSec Institute offers a Boot Camp that provides the most comprehensive approach to the CompTIA A+ certification exam. And in addition to the in-house training boot camp, InfoSec Institute also offers the CompTIA A+ Online Training course, which is one of the best resources available to help you prepare for the A+ exam.
InfoSec Institute offers another valuable resource for the A+/Network+ exam. This is an A+/Network+ Boot Camp, an eight-day in-depth and accelerated course.
The CompTIA A+ certification exam helps candidates to boost their IT careers and attain higher positions and better salaries. Once you become an A+-certified professional, you have mastered the skills of installing and configuring both hardware and software applications. Network applications and mobile devices are also included.
In this article, we reviewed A+ exam objectives, exam details, the process of taking the A+ exam and A+ exam resources to best prepare for the test. The most important point for the A+ exam is to study only trusted resources for preparation. Relying on these resources will help candidates to best prepare for CompTIA A+ exam and secure an elite score.