On this episode of the CyberSpeak with InfoSec Institute podcast, Christiaan Beek, lead scientist and senior principal engineer with McAfee, discusses his career path, the future of cybersecurity and the No More Ransom project.
In the podcast, Beek and host Chris Sienko discuss:
- What was it about hacking that got you interested in cybersecurity? (1:55)
- How did you end up working for the “good guys” instead of becoming a malicious hacker? (3:35)
- What’s your job like as lead scientist at McAfee? (4:40)
- What combination of experience, certifications, learning and activities is needed to get started in threat intelligence strategy and research ? (7:30)
- What is the role of education and certifications in this path? (9:35)
- What is one task listeners could begin doing that would bring them one step closer to the profession of threat intelligence research and strategy? (11:40)
- What is the No More Ransom project? (13:15)
- If you’re hit with ransomware, what is the first thing you should do? (15:30)
- Can ransomware ever by “cured” through preventative action and security awareness? (17:00)
- What do you think about the future of cybersecurity specialists? (19:45)
- Are there enough people interested in cybersecurity to fill the open positions? (21:20)
- Should there be a campaign to get young people interested in cybersecurity? (20:20)
About CyberSpeak with InfoSec Institute
Get security awareness and IT training insight direct from the trenches in this weekly podcast hosted by InfoSec Institute’s Chris Sienko. Each week on CyberSpeak with InfoSec Institute, IT and security practitioners share their insights into a new topic, including security awareness, IT and security careers and keeping organizations safe from cybercrime.